Saturday, December 26, 2009
Ryan's world is thrown into chaos when a young upstart Anna Kendrick ( Natalie Keener) has convinced the company they can do their business via webcam.
The boss sends the two out on the road together so that Anna can learn the business and try out some onsite webcam firings.
There are some twists and turns along the way that I won't give away, neither will I give away the ending. At its best this is some great character studies, at its worst a hell of an entertaining movie. Ivan Reitman is quickly becoming one of my favorite directors and he's put his own quirky sense of humor into the writing of this one as well.
At no point did I even think of looking at my watch, which is how I judge how entertaining the movie is. There we a few points I laughed so loud it was a little embarrassing. If you have a chance to go see this movie, you should do so.
Thursday, December 24, 2009
1. Republicans claiming they are blocking healthcare reform on principle, and not just to undermine the current administration.
Jim DeMint: “If we can stop healthcare reform, it will be Obama’s Waterloo ... it will crush him!”
2. John McCain pontificating about how in his 20 years in the Senate he had never heard of a member not being given an extra few minutes to finish their remarks.
During the vote on the Iraq war – Senator Dayton : “I’d like an extra 30 seconds to finish my remarks.” John McCain: “I object!”
3. Joe Lieberman stated two things prominently when he was threatening to filibuster healthcare reform. First that he does not believe in the public option or a healthcare buy in and second he would use his power as a “single Senator” to make sure it never passes if it included those things..
Problem: In early 2000 Joe Lieberman co-sponsored a bill to abolish the filibuster. During his campaign for Vice President, he lobbied for a medicare buy-in for people 55 and over. He is also caucusing with the Democrats and holds a very prestigious committee chair, my question is why????
4. Blogojevich – if his mouth is moving, he’s lying …’nuff said.
5. James “Mountain” Inhofe. Now I’m not sure if this man is an out and out liar or just a moron. He was the Senator who was going to go to Copenhagen with his “Truth Squad” and prove that global warming was a hoax. He got to Copenhagen with his “Squad” of one staffer, couldn’t find anyone to take a meeting with him or any press to listen to him, turned around and came back to the US spending a grand total of 3 hrs in Sweden. Here is one of my favorite quotes of his : “The Climatic Research Unit e-mails show that the science behind climate change "has been pretty well debunked."
6. Michelle Bachmann: “Page 92 of the House health care bill "says specifically that people can't purchase private health insurance after a date certain." Another doosey from her is: ACORN will be a paid partner with the Census Bureau and "they will be in charge of going door-to-door and collecting data from the American public." And on the same note: Says the Constitution only requires her to tell the census "how many people are in our home." Maybe its time for the great Senator from MN to read the constitution.
7. Again not sure if its liar or moron, but she’s always there for a good laugh. Our favorite citizen of the meth capital of the world … Sarah Palin: Seniors and the disabled "will have to stand in front of Obama's 'death panel' so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their 'level of productivity in society,' whether they are worthy of health care."
8. There are myriad Glenn Beck lies, exaggerations and scare tactics. Way to many to list here, but I will let you in on one of my faves: “John Holdren, director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy, "has proposed forcing abortions and putting sterilants in the drinking water to control population."
9. Betsy McCaughey, another wonderful Death Panalist had this to say at a conservative conference: The health care reform bill "would make it mandatory — absolutely require — that every five years people in Medicare have a required counseling session that will tell them how to end their life sooner.
10. I will put my leftist tendencies aside and give you a few tid bits from Obama: "If you actually took the number of Muslims [sic] Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world." Or "And 100 percent, John, of your ads . . . 100 percent of them have been negative." Granted most of his untruths were based on bad data but Mr. President, you’re the most powerful man in the free world, maybe you should get a really good fact checker!
11. Senator Ben Nelson of Nebraska held out on voting for the health reform bill, basically selling his vote for a Medicaid kickback. When confronted about it, he defended himself by saying: “Medicaid provision added to the Senate health care reform bill is not a special deal for Nebraska." Yeah and I’m the Pope. The provision clearly states “for the state of Nebraska”.
12. What would be a liar’s list without Newt Gingrich … here’s one of his good ones: Inside the stimulus package "is anti-Christian legislation that will stop churches from using public schools for meeting on Sundays, as well as Boy Scouts and student Bible study groups."
13. And last but not least, the “fair and balanced” Fox News. If I listed all the lies, hypocrisies and half-truths, I would be writing an Encyclopedia Britannica. Let’s just say that if you’re not a Fox News viewer, you know what I’m talking about. If you’re not, I strongly encourage you to try to find a corroborating source!
Thursday, December 3, 2009
2) I have to keep track of gloves! I lost 3 pair last year. Even was scouring the stores in March trying to find another pair (good luck right?) Now I have a brand new pretty pair of isotoners, wonder how long they'll last.
3) Chicago Grey - I've heard rumor of a large yellow ball that sometimes appears in the sky and makes everything bright. I would really like to experience that phenomenon.
4) Getting way to old to shovel. I remember the last snow storm we had. By the time I finished shoveling off my car and the mess the snowplow made behind it, I felt like I had been tackled by a Bears linebacker.
5) Sloppy doggy paws. 'nuff said
6) Have to listen to 3 months of my mother calling from Florida to ask, "how's the weather" ... and ... Have to listen to 3 months of my mother calling from Florida to tell me how lovely it is there.
7) Scaly skin. The heater has only really been on for a few weeks and already my legs look like a snake shedding its skin. I slather on an ocean of moisturizer and I still reside in ichy hell. Curse the builder who put my furnace in the ceiling with no room for a humidifier! Curse the humidifiers that get almost as scaly as I do!
8) No more Farmer's Market. I feel like I'll never eat fresh produce again.
9) Christmas Season. I've started my moratorium on malls until after New Years. My ears are already bleeding from Christmas music. "I'm just a Jew, a lonely Jew, I'd be merry, but I'm Hebrew, I'm just a lonely Jew, on Christmas" Thanks for that one Kyle!
10) The last time my clumsy ass slipped on the ice and ended up in the ER seems a distant memory, until there's ice on the ground again.
11) I've forgotten to turn off my outside water ... Rut Roh!
12) No more walks by the lake .. at least none that don't involve frost bite.
13) Socks! I hate wearing socks! I feet need to breath. They need to be free. They get pissed at me when they've been cooped up in socks all day.
Sunday, October 4, 2009
This feels like pre-Nazi Germany. The rhetoric of hate being spewed by people like Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck besides being dangerous, makes my stomach turn. This allowing people to show up with guns to town hall meetings where Obama is speaking is just ridiculous.
I watched Micheal Moore's documentary yesterday and although it was eye opening at some points it was not his best work. What did strike me though was the clip he showed of FDR. The last public speech before his death proposing the second bill of rights which included such guarantees as a job with a living wage, an adequate place to live and health care for everyone. Wow - socialist ideas there, maybe someone should be spewing hate against FDR.
Where are the men and women of vision and conscience now? I thought Obama was one of those people of vision and conscience, but he keeps backing down. He's not fighting for what he knows is right. He's not drawing a line in the sand that he should be able to with a filibuster proof Senate
I just get this bad feeling that things are about to escalate. This country is going to give in to the fear mongering and the hate and the lies and something bad is going to happen. I'm not sure what form it will take, but I wish whatever it was, we could avoid it.
Thursday, October 1, 2009
I was devastated to hear of Kate's passing. She was the first person in the industry to give me real encouragement and I'm not sure I would be published without her. Her exact words at reading the synopsis to my first book was, "Damn girl, you can plot." She loved romance novels as much as she loved being an editor, which is why she was such a brilliant one. She will be sorely missed both by me and by the whole romance writing community. Goodbye Kate, I hope you're somewhere with all the character's you loved so much.
Saturday, August 8, 2009
Hopefully it will be well received. I now realize more then ever that you leave your blood, sweat, tears, and love for your characters on the page. I hope my character's are being well thought of and people love them as much as I do.